Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tricksters on the way home


At 12:30 in the afternoon yesterday I was driving home. About 3 miles from my house is a spot where I see red foxes ALL the time, but usually at dusk or dawn. But not yesterday, walking down the middle of the road in a spot with a lot of trees, a young fox was trotting right down the middle of the road. . .which is un-fox like to me. They usually seem real dodgy. I then noticed that he was looking up and around and was so focused on something that he did not see my car approaching. Then he ducked. A big crow dive bombed him. As I got closer I saw the crow silently harassing the young fox, diving in and out.

I broke the dispute up with a honk. . .my car was only 6-10 feet from the two. The fox bolted left and the crow lighted on a dead tree next to the road, about 6 feet off the ground. I stopped the car and told the crow to ease up on the fox because it was, after all, just a kid. The crow did not seem moved by my pleas. . .

No comments: